Thursday 24 March 2016
Shannon Morgan from Lisburn successfully completed a BTEC National Award in Childcare, Learning and Development in November 2015 with the support from staff at SERC and the Cedar Foundation ‘Inclusion Works’ South Eastern. Gaining this qualification was no easy task for Shannon and it involved an incredible journey of determination and strength.
Shannon began a BTEC course in Childcare, Learning & Development in September 2013 and excelled in all her chosen subjects. However in the summer of 2014 at the age of 17 Shannon suffered a stroke and her life was turned upside down. All of her energy would now be around rehabilitation and attending hospital appointments. For this reason Shannon was unable to return to her studies in September of that year.
However, returning to SERC and completing her qualification remained very much a goal that Shannon would think about and for a year she worked extremely hard on her rehabilitation goals and was in a position in September 2015 to return to college and began studying her final modules in the BTEC in Children’s care, Learning and Development.
In recognition of Shannon’s determination and hard work she was invited to attend SERCs annual student excellence award ceremony, which celebrated the achievements of the best performing students. During this evening Shannon was delighted to win two very well deserved awards, including ‘Student of the Year’ in her subject and ‘Excellence in commitment to learning in the face of a challenge’.
Although Shannon is very humble, it is clear to all those who have supported Shannon in her goal to achieve this qualification that the commitment, dedication and difficulties she overcame and continues to overcome be recognised and commended.
The SERC ceremony highlighted that Shannon’s attitude and sheer determination is what made her the winner on the night and as she moves forward with new goals with The Cedar Foundations ‘Inclusion Works’ programme these qualities will continue to serve her well with whatever career she chooses to pursue.
Find a Related Service
- Foyle youth group build skills while clowning around! 28 Mar 2017
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackie’s Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedar’s 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015