Success after Brain Injury Ė Mariusís Story
Tuesday 23 February 2016
Cedar first met Marius when he was referred to their Brain Injury Service in 2002 as part of his rehabilitation following a serious assault. It was a very difficult time for Marius and his family as he had just started life as a student in Belfast. To use Marius’ mother’s words, ‘it was touch and go for a long time’. However, as we came to realise, Marius is a very special individual with a great appetite for life and has yet to be beaten in any challenge he has faced.
Cedar specialises in supporting people to work, learn and connect after brain injury. This work is carried out in close partnership with the WHSCT Community Brain Injury Team. Together they supported Marius to overcome many barriers he faced as a result of his traumatic brain injury.
Marius attended Cedar’s rehabilitation sessions to learn new ways to manage problems with memory, concentration, planning and organising skills. He had a great impact on whatever groups he was involved in and brought a great sense of humour wherever he went. He continued to build his strength and skills through a volunteering placement with the grounds maintenance team at the Share Centre in Lisnaskea. He excelled at this and was very popular with everyone there.
It soon became apparent that Marius was not going to give up on his dream of returning to university to complete his studies. His ‘can do’ attitude coupled with a determination not to let those who assaulted him dictate his future lead him back to Belfast.
Marius moved through a phased and carefully planned return to Ulster University and completed his engineering degree. He progressed into paid employment as a Quantity Surveyor with Durnien Engineering, who had been willing to take on board employer assistance from Cedar and to invest in someone who clearly showed determination and an ability to succeed.
During his time with Cedar Marius was regularly involved with publicity and marketing events. Since leaving Cedar Marius has gone on to fund raise and promote Cedar on numerous occasions. He has raised in excess of £7000! Most recently he presented Cedar with a cheque for £3743 following an Irish music and storytelling night which he organised and ran in November 2015.
Marius is now living in Co. Monaghan. He works with a kitchen design and manufacturing company, he is married to Brenda and has a 28 month old son, Oliver, with their second baby due next month. To say he is a success story is something of an understatement. Cedar are very grateful for all he has done, not only in terms of financial support and promotion of the service, but for allowing us to play a part, however small, in his story. Marius would like to thank everyone who helped out both organising the event and on the night itself.
Find a Related Service
- Foyle youth group build skills while clowning around! 28 Mar 2017
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackieís Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedarís 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015